Sunday, September 16, 2012

Little Miss "Cool"

"Mommy, I have a surprise for you. But don't come in! Not yet."

I waited. In a couple minutes, Rachel came out of her bedroom wearing her Little Mermaid PJ's, a blue jean jacket, the cap from her school uniform, and a pair of dark shades. With a big, cheeky grin, she assumed a "cool pose". I had to laugh and snap a few pictures.

Somewhere along the line, as she plays with her friends, she has figured out that this look is cool. OK, maybe the Little Mermaid PJ's aren't quite so cool in combination with the rest of the outfit, but still ... cool enough.

Rachel enjoys imitating those around her. She sees things that are interesting or cool (gaya is the word in Indonesian) and wants to have them, or do them.


In the case of her cool look here, there is no harm done. It is just cute.  However, I do need to be alert to the things that she is imitating. 
  • Are they wholesome? or unhealthy?
  • Are they harmless? or harmful?
  • Are they worthy of imitating? or unworthy?
I need to teach Rachel to discern between the good and the bad.  She needs to be able to tell the difference between the good and the not-so-good. I need to guide her to choose the things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, and admirable. (Phil. 4:8)

We all face a lot of choices out there. Some are obviously harmful Some are obviously good. Many, perhaps most, are somewhere in between. Of course, there are many things that you would be hard-pressed to say are either good or bad. They are just cute or fun. I think I'd put this particular "cool" costume in that category.

More important than the things we wear  are the attitudes of our hearts. Of course, what we wear sometimes reflects those attitudes, but I think Jesus is more concerned with what is going on INSIDE of us than what is going ON us.

I know I'll have a lot more of this to deal with as Rachel grows up ... this intersection of what is INSIDE her and what is ON her. She picks up ideas for her own unique style from others around her. She also picks up actions and attitudes. 

I need to focus right now on helping her see the difference between attitudes of respect and disrespect, honor and dishonor, diligence and laziness, kindness and meanness. If she learns now to attend to what goes on INSIDE her, and choose the good things, hopefully the battles over what goes ON her when she is older might remain just that - battles, not all-out war. 

As for me ... I need to set the example by attending to what goes on INSIDE me as well.

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. 
Romans 12:2a

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts on this post? I would love to hear from you.

Gadgets By Spice Up Your Blog